St Mary’s is part of the Congleton & District Eco Cluster of eco schools (overall coordinator Mrs Pinto)
A representative from St Mary’s attends theses regular meetings held at different schools in the area
(11 Jan 2011; 22 Mar 11; 10 May 11; 2 July 11 4 Sep 11, 5 Jan 12, 29 Mar 12, 2 May 12 Nov 12 Mar 13 May 13)
St Mary’s pupils attended the 2012 Cheshire Show, helping on the Congleton eco-schools stand in the education marquee. We were visited by Congleton Town Mayor, Cllr Sally Holland and her Deputy George Hayes.
September - October 2012
1) 28 Sep St Mary’s took part in World’s Biggest Coffee Morning
2) 5 Oct Harvest, St Mary’s pupils collected food items and took them to
Storehouse project at New Life Church
16 March Big Dig (Community project in Congleton) at school, planted 105 new hedgerow saplings, planted out 30 two-yr old hedgerow plants along perimeter fence, started to clear flat vegetable beds. Following the success of this event, the garden club was started in April.
12 Jun competed against the Quinta Primary School to plant a flower bed in the Siemens Schools in Bloom competition. Joint winners, awarded £75 towards gardening at St Mary’s.
12-13 July Eco-zone at Parklive St Mary’s took part in eco-zone, which was a celebration of twelve Congleton schools gaining green flags and sustainable projects at all the eco school in Congleton. Display (Mrs Pinto) & activities by eco-council team. Three classes attended the event. Trophy from Congleton Partnership received for 2 Green Flags achieved.
Autumn term 2013
- select eco councillors (three per class), elect JROs, JEMs, FT officers, litter police
- Adults on eco team? Eco coordinator, governor, bursar, caretaker, parent, Headteacher
- meet to fill in environmental review, then check action plan, decide on eco projects for 2013-14.
- Take photo of new eco council
- update eco noticeboard
- Review eco code.
Applied for 3rd Green Flag in October 2013, awaiting assessment on 15 January 2014.